The Law Office of Tamara I. Jordan P.L.L.C.
Se Habla Espanol
Follow us on
Pinterest Facebook Twitter Google Plus LinkedIn
You are not simply another case or billable hour, you matter to us now and you always will
Landlord Tenant Attorney NYC Attorney Profile Firm Overview Practice Areas Case Evaluation Contact Us
Find information about our firm & current events Read testimonials that past clients have written about us
Contact Us
Landlord & Tenant Information
Landlord & Tenant Law
Commercial Landlord Law
Condo Associations
Eviction Process
Landlord Rights
Lease Disputes
Non Payment Disputes
Public Housing and Exclusion Violations
Rent Stabilization
Residential Landlord Law
Section 8
Tenant's Rights
Transfer of Public Housing Residency
Frequently Asked Questions
Additional Practice Areas
Estate Planning
Family Law
Child Custody
Child Support
Areas we Serve
Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to our podcast

Subscribe to our podcast

The interview is not an endorsement of the Women's Radio Network and the law office is not affiliated with Women's Radio Network and does not make any representations, warranties or express any opinion regarding Women's Radio Network

Use our online service to pay your bill today
We proudly accept electronic payment from these card carriers

Change font size Change font size

Landlord Tenant Law FAQ

New York City Landlord Tenant Law

I currently live in a three-bedroom apartment for the past five years. The apartment is not rent-controlled or rent- stabilized. My lease expires next month. I have made numerous calls to the landlord requesting for a new lease. The landlord has refused to return my calls. What are my options? Can I require the landlord to provide me with a new lease?

Since the apartment is not rent-controlled or rent-stabilized, the landlord is not required under the law to provide you with a new lease. Once your lease expires next month, you will be considered a month-to-month tenant, and the landlord will only be required to provide you with thirty days' notice to vacate the apartment.

I told my friend he could stay at my apartment for a couple of days. To my dismay and anger, it has been over two months and my friend is still here. My so-called friend refuses to pitch in with paying any food, rent, or electricity. I am ready to put him out in the street. Is this the right way to handle the situation? Can he sue me later if I throw him and his things out in the street?

A better approach is to seek legal action in court, to evict your friend. You will need to consult with an attorney regarding the proper notices that should be served on your friend. You should not resort to self-help since your friend can sue you in court for throwing him out without serving him proper notice. In addition, you do not want to be responsible for any damage and/or missing items belonging to your friend.

The landlord refuses to provide me with heat and hot water for the past week. I have complained to 311 and I just received a notice from the landlord evicting me? Is this legal?

Under the law, the landlord is required to provide you with heat and hot water. You should review your legal papers and speak with an attorney regarding your matter. A defense used in similar cases is the defense of retaliatory eviction. Retaliatory eviction occurs when the landlord is retaliating against a tenant who complains about the lack of services the landlord is required, but fails to provide. Since every case is different and may be based on varying facts, it is recommended that you speak with an attorney to better assist you.

I am a Section 8 tenant and I live in a two-bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. The rent is $1188, but I agreed to pay the landlord $150 in addition to the rent. The government pays $972 and my share of the rent is $216. I cannot afford to pay the extra $150 and have fallen behind payments the last four months. Can the landlord sue me to collect the extra $150 plus my share of the rent?

Your landlord can sue for the non-payment of your share of the rent. The landlord can start a summary proceeding against you in civil court to collect the past four months of rent. The landlord, however, cannot sue you for the additional $150 since this money was not part of the lease agreement. You should carefully review the terms of your lease agreement since any agreement to pay additional money could affect your rights and responsibilities as a Section 8 tenant.

If you have any other questions regarding New York City landlord tenant law, please do not hesitate to contact our landlord tenant lawyer in NYC here at the firm.

Attorney Web Design

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Attorney Advertisement: Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

The Law Office of Tamara I. Jordan P.L.L.C. - Landlord Tenant Attorney NYC
Located at 30 Wall Street, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10005
Phone: (888) 887-7454 | Local Phone: (212) 804-5763