top of page
Guardianship Law

Guardianships and Conservatorships

At The Law Office of Tamara I. Jordan, PLLC, we provide legal support for capable and caring adults in the New York City area and throughout New York who want to gain the legal right to make decisions for loved ones in need of their assistance. As an informed attorney, we can help you petition to be appointed as a guardian to gain decision-making authority over the health, finances and welfare of your elderly parent or another disabled adult. While some people may be entirely incapable of managing their personal affairs, others may only need limited assistance with their personal care or financial management. The decision to assume the role of a legal guardian is a major step in your life, one that will have far reaching consequences for you and your loved ones. You deserve to have experienced legal counsel to guide you through the process. We provide sound advice and professional assistance with crucial decisions no matter what challenges you face.

What is Important

Guardians for minors law

Book your appointment 

Attentive New York attorney helps responsible adults become guardians for minors

We advocate for the best interests of children, helping to establish guardianships in which they can receive reliable and compassionate care. Clients come to The Law Office of Tamara I. Jordan, PLLC for help with:

  • Appointing a guardian — It is important to name a trusted person to take over guardianship duties for your children in case the need ever arises. When a guardian is not named in advance of a parent’s death or incapacitation, the court may appoint someone the parent might not have chosen. You want to select a guardian who is willing and able to offer care and will raise your children according to your parental philosophies.

  • Becoming a guardian — When a child you love is in need of a guardian they can rely on, we can help you seek the legal right to take over these responsibilities. We can present your case in any necessary court hearings, working to demonstrate that you are suited to become a minor’s caretaker.

We will address your guardianship concerns and answer any questions you may have. Protecting the well-being of children is always a top priority.

Respected law firm establishes guardianship for incapacitated adults

If you are responsible for an incapacitated adult or you have a child who will never be able to live independently, it is important to make legal arrangements for current and future care. At The Law Office of Tamara I. Jordan, PLLC, we provide assistance for clients who wish to:

  • Become a guardian — We can guide you through the process of having yourself or another qualified loved one appointed as guardian for an elderly parent or disabled adult. A guardian is responsible for managing the financial needs of the person they care for and making decisions in their best interests.

  • Handle guardianship conflicts — Adults who have lived independently may be resistant to having another person care for them. If you see an urgent need to assume authority over an aging parent or other relative for their own good, you may have to petition the court to be appointed as a guardian. Your loved one is entitled to counsel. If difficult circumstances arise, you can trust in our professionalism and sensitivity during the legal process.

  • Execute a trust to benefit a special needs adult — If you are responsible for a disabled adult, your estate plan should include a special needs trust to provide financial assistance in case of an unexpected life event. Leaving money directly to a person who receives government benefits such as Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income benefits could make them ineligible for assistance. By creating a trust, you prepare a consistent income stream that eases their financial burdens without jeopardizing eligibility. Your estate plan can also include provisions for requesting that the court appoint a guardian for your loved one

We are caring and compassionate in our approach to your guardianship needs.

Guardianship for incapacitated adults

Book your appointment 

Contact a thorough New York estate planning lawyer for advice on guardianships or conservatorships

Accessibility Estatement
bottom of page